Probate and Estate Administration

Illinois Probate and Estate Administration

When a loved one dies, dealing with the probate and estate administration process can be overwhelming. You’re grieving, and there’s so much to think about. That’s where Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning and Elder Law, LLC, can help.

Our experienced La Grange and Northbrook probate and estate administration attorneys can help you navigate the probate process and ensure that your loved one’s wishes are carried out. We understand that this can be a difficult time, and we’re committed to providing you with the support and guidance you need.

Here are some of the ways we can help:

  • Explain the probate process and your rights as an heir or beneficiary.
  • Help you file the necessary paperwork and meet deadlines.
  • Represent you in court, if necessary.
  • Work with you to distribute your loved one’s assets according to their will or trust.

We know that probate in Illinois can be complex and time-consuming. That’s why we’re here to take some of the burden off of your shoulders. We’ll handle all of the legal details so you can focus on grieving and healing.

Contact us today for a consultation to learn more about how we can help you with the probate and estate administration process. We have offices in LaGrange and Northbrook to serve you.

Illinois Laws Regarding Wills

Illinois probate laws have specific requirements for creating a valid will. If you want to ensure that your last wishes are respected, it’s important to create a will that complies with Illinois law.

To create a valid will in Illinois, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be of sound mind
  • Write the will (oral wills are not valid)
  • Sign the will
  • Have two witnesses sign the will in your presence

Illinois recognizes wills executed outside of the state, but only if they were drafted and signed in accordance with the laws of the state where they were executed.

You can revoke your will at any time by:

  • Burning, tearing, or canceling it, or
  • Drafting a new will

It’s important to note that once a new will is executed, it revokes all previous wills.

If you have any questions about creating or revoking a will in Illinois, please consult with an experienced estate planning attorney at Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning and Elder Law, LLC.

Probate and Estate Administration in Illinois Helping Individuals Navigate Probate

Probate is the legal process of settling a deceased person’s estate. It can be a complex process, but if you understand how it works, you’ll be prepared in case you’re ever named as an executor or administrator of an estate.

Here’s a simplified overview of the probate process in Illinois:

  1. Someone applies for probate. This is usually done by the executor named in the deceased person’s will. If there’s no will, or if the executor named in the will is unable or unwilling to serve, the court will appoint an administrator.
  2. The court appoints an executor or administrator. Once the court has appointed an executor or administrator, they’ll be responsible for administering the estate under the court’s guidance.
  3. The executor or administrator gathers the deceased person’s assets and pays their debts. This includes notifying creditors and giving them a chance to file claims against the estate.
  4. The executor or administrator distributes the deceased person’s remaining assets to their beneficiaries. Once all debts and claims have been paid, the executor or administrator will distribute the remaining assets to the beneficiaries named in the will. If there is no will, the assets will be distributed according to Illinois intestacy laws.

Here are some tips to help you navigate the probate process:

  • Gather all of the deceased person’s important documents. This includes their will, life insurance policies, retirement accounts, and other financial documents.
  • Contact an experienced estate planning attorney. An attorney can help you understand the probate process and ensure that the deceased person’s estate is settled properly.
  • Be patient. Probate can take several months or even years to complete. Don’t get frustrated if the process takes longer than you expected.

Remember, the goal of probate is to ensure that the deceased person’s wishes are carried out and that their assets are distributed to their beneficiaries according to the law.

Meet With an Experienced La Grange and Northbrook Estate Planning Lawyer

Your estate plan is your roadmap for the future of your assets and your loved ones. It’s important to have a thorough and up-to-date plan in place to ensure that your wishes are respected and your loved ones are taken care of.

At Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning and Elder Law, our La Grange and Northbrook estate planning lawyers can help you create or update your estate plan, including drafting a will or trust. We can also help you handle Illinois probate and estate administration so you can focus on grieving the loss of your loved one.

Here’s why it’s important to have an estate plan:

  • Protect your assets. An estate plan can help protect your assets from creditors, taxes, and lawsuits.
  • Ensure your wishes are respected. Your estate plan allows you to specify how you want your assets distributed after your death.
  • Take care of your loved ones. Your estate plan can provide for your minor children, disabled loved ones, and aging parents.

If you don’t have an estate plan in place, or if your plan is outdated, contact Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning and Elder Law, LLC today for a consultation. We can help you create a plan that meets your individual needs and goals.

You can send a message online or call our LaGrange office at (708) 482-7090 or our Northbrook office at (847) 656-8958.

Client Reviews
"We just received the refund from the facility today. Thank You so very much for all your help with my Mom's file. You and the staff at Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning & Elder Law LLC are outstanding people. It is an Honor to have your law office represent us. I would like to keep in touch with you for future family business." Lou Spataro
"I have known Bill Wilson for years and referred the services of Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning & Elder Law LLC Law Offices to many of my clients. I know they will be met with compassion as well as excellent counsel which is important to families in stressful situations. Dealing with the families in crisis requires skills all of the staff at Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning & Elder Law LLC demonstrate every day." Andrea Donovon
"Bill and his team are outstanding! They are thoughtful, caring and able to handle virtually any estate-related matter. They can take complicated matters and make them simple to understand. And on simple matters, they get it done quickly and for a reasonable fee. I highly recommend the Wilson & Wilson Estate Planning & Elder Law LLC team." G.Grant Dixon III
"Sandra and Debbie were very friendly but also professional. They were very efficient and concise and were able to answer all my questions about the paperwork. I felt very comfortable and confident working with Sandra and definitely would recommend her services to friends and family." A.S.